Saturday, July 18, 2015

S’mores Bars with Marshmallow Meringue

It had been ages since I’d done any baking, and this was a great recipe for a return to it. I saw these bars in Food and Wine magazine back in April and made a mental note that I must try them. Anything of or related to s’mores is an easy sell on me. Whether it’s fancy s’mores with homamde graham crackers and marshmallows with divine varieties of chocolate, s’mores cookies, or any other similar concoction, I’m game. I deemed the 4th of July a good occasion for all-American S’mores Bars and brought these along to a party. The recipe is from Cheryl and Griffith Day of Back in the Day Bakery fame, and it’s definitely a keeper. I had my fears going into this project. I wasn’t sure the meringue would hold up after the bars were cut. I was sure I’d have drooping, sliding meringue that wouldn’t stay where it belonged on each bar. I was also a little uncertain about the fudgy chocolate layer since it’s baked just to the point of jiggliness. Again, I imagined a possible runny mess upon cutting. And, I was wrong on all counts. The bars cut easily enough and everything stayed just where it should. It was actually a very fun recipe to make especially since I got to use one of my most favorite kitchen tools: the torch. 

There are a few steps to making the bars. First, the crust was made by pressing a mix of graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, brown sugar, and a little salt into a nine-inch baking pan lined with foil. It’s important to line the pan with foil to make it easy to remove the finished bars before cutting. The crust was baked and cooled. Next, the filling was made by melting butter and chocolate together in a double-boiler. Sugar, vanilla, and salt were whisked into the chocolate mixture followed by two eggs. Flour was folded in, and the batter was poured over the crust. This was baked for about 25 minutes until the edges were set, and it was left to cool completely. Last, the meringue was made by whisking egg whites and sugar in a heat-proof bowl over simmering water until the sugar dissolved. I used the mixer bowl and then transferred it to the stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Vanilla and cream of tartar were added, and the meringue was whipped until firm. Swooping meringue about and making curlicues is almost as much fun as pulling out the kitchen torch and browning the swirls. Once I’d had enough fun torching the meringue, I removed the whole block from the pan and cut it into bars. It helps to rinse off the knife between each cut to keep the edges slightly neater. 

As I tasted one of these glorious bars, I wondered how many tries it took for the recipe developers to arrive at the perfect balance of crust to chocolate filling to meringue topping. I wouldn’t change a single thing. I predict this will be an often-used recipe. 


20 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa:)
    I see you are still creating amazing yumminess! These S'mores Bars with Marshmallow Meringue look absolutely dee...li...cious! I can understand your fear about them holding up. If it were me, I'm sure they would have collapsed!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Lisa...I'm not back to blogging yet, hopefully soon...In the mean while, I will be PINNING these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those golden marshmallow peaks are making me drool here, Lisa! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic version of s'mores! I'll have to admit these bars might be better than the original recipe, except of course when a campfire is involved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are gorgeous! By coincidence, my latest post has torched meringue as well. Always a joy to make because you can lick the spatula! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks just to die for.. Meringue looks just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A thing of complete beauty! Outstanding job, Lisa!

    I remember noticing this recipe in that issue... but I am too much of a wimp to try it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are super pretty! your marshmallowy layer is perfect and so very nicely toasted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You don't have some of those amazing bars left to send my way by any chance?
    I could really use a couple, right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are gorgeous! Perfect looking meringue. And loaded with flavor, I'm sure. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That meringue topping looks absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Incredible! The meringue looks perfect. I can only imagine the delight if you brought a box of these camping :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hehe we're on the same wavelength! This week I posted Smores but made with Smoreos! I love the look of these decadent bars! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, your meringue cut beautifully, Lisa! Perfect little squares of delight. We all love smores...guess we're all kids, no matter what our age.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How did I miss this in Food and Wine? They are one of my "go to" resources and this recipe must be tried. They look perfect Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa, these bars are amazing! I just fell in love with your recipe! Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, awesome dessert!!!
    Dedy@Dentist Chef

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are basically heaven in bar cookie form! Love all things s'mores!

    ReplyDelete
  18. aww delicious Lisa I love s'mores, look wonderful!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are total show-stoppers! What a perfect treat for friends and family -- or to hoard all to yourself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mouth is melting so much.
    What a great treat.
    Olga.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips